Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos
These Cilantro Lime Chicken Tacos are so delicious and simple to make! A five ingredient dump-and-go meal that takes minutes to prepare and cooks all day in the slow cooker!
Servings 8 servings
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts (fresh or frozen)
- 1 packet taco seasoning mix (I use low sodium)
- 1 16 oz jar salsa (use your favorite; I used a local Texas brand)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- juice from two limes
Place chicken breasts in the bottom of your slow cooker. Sprinkle taco seasoning over the top, then cover with salsa, lime juice, and cilantro.
Place lid on top and cook for four hours on high, or 6-7 hours on low. Remove chicken from crockpot to a separate bowl and shred with two forks. Moisten chicken with small amounts of juice left over from the crockpot until you get the amount of moisture that you like. I used about 1/2 - 3/4 cup juice.
Serve with taco shells or tortillas, adding on your favorite toppings. I like to use shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, diced avocado, cheese, sour cream, and even a drizzle of ranch dressing. Enjoy!
- How to make Cilantro Lime Chicken in the Instant Pot: On super busy nights, or when I forget to put everything in the crockpot in time, I like to make this in the Instant Pot. Add 1/2 a cup of chicken broth or water to the bottom of your Instant Pot, then add the rest of the ingredients on top. Cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, then allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes. Release any remaining pressure, remove the lid, and shred chicken as directed.
- Using chicken thighs: Chicken thighs work great in place of chicken thighs. All instructions and cook times remain the same for thighs.
- Using frozen chicken: You can use frozen chicken in either the crockpot or Instant Pot version. You might need to increase the cook time by about 1-2 hours in the slow cooker. For the Instant Pot, cook on high pressure for 20 minutes with a 10 minute natural release before releasing any remaining pressure.
- Gluten Free: This recipe is gluten free, just make sure you choose a gluten-free taco seasoning. Many of the kinds that you can buy at the store are gluten-free, just double check the labels. You can also make a this homemade taco seasoning.
- Freezing leftovers: I like to make a big batch and freeze leftovers. Once your chicken is cooled, add small servings to individual ziplock bags and squeeze out the air. Lay flat and place in the freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight then reheat on the stove over low heat, or in the microwave.
- Serving Suggestions: You can serve with hard or soft taco shells, and sprinkle on all of your favorite toppings! Pico, guacamole, cilantro, sour cream, and cheese are some of our favorites. You can also serve over rice to make cilantro lime chicken burrito bowls, or over mixed salad greens for a cilantro lime chicken salad!
Calories: 154kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 817mg | Potassium: 589mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 685IU | Vitamin C: 6.4mg | Calcium: 23mg | Iron: 0.9mg