Broccoli Cheddar Soup with Potatoes
This Broccoli Cheddar Soup with Potatoes is full of delicious vegetables and so creamy thanks to the cheese! You will love warming up with a bowl of this soup on a chilly day.
Servings 6 servings
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 celery stick finely chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 large potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese
Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium heat until tender about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute until fragrant.
Add chicken broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Mix flour with water, add, and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.
Add milk and broccoli and cook until broccoli is just tender and soup is heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in cheese, allow to melt, and serve. Enjoy!
- To make this Broccoli Cheddar Soup gluten-free, simply swap out the all purpose flour for your favorite gluten-free flour such as rice flour, chickpea flour, or oat flour.
- To make this recipe vegetarian, swap the chicken broth for vegetable broth. For a vegan alternative, swap out the milk for soy, hemp, rice, or almond milk, and the cheese for a vegan cheese alternative, or leave it out completely.
- To make Broccoli Cheddar Soup using an Instant Pot: cook onions, carrots, celery, and garlic in butter using the sauté function. Once veggies are soft, add the chicken broth, potatoes, and broccoli. Cook over manual high pressure for 10 minutes and perform a quick release. Turn the pot back to sauté and add the slurry mixture of the flour and water, along with the milk. Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes until thickened, then add the cheese. Stir until melted and serve.
- To make Broccoli Cheddar Soup using a Slow Cooker: add all of the ingredients (except for the flour, water, milk, and cheese) to the bowl of your crockpot. Cook over high heat for 4-5 hours. Remove the lid and add the slurry mixture of flour and water, along with the milk and cheese. Stir well, then replace the lid and allow to cook for 15 more minutes until thickened.
Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 891mg | Potassium: 692mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4320IU | Vitamin C: 48.9mg | Calcium: 362mg | Iron: 3.2mg