Creamy Zuppa Toscana
This Creamy Zuppa Toscana is full of sausage, potatoes, and kale, all swimming together in a creamy broth. It makes an easy, hearty, and delicious dinner!
Servings 8 servings
- 1 pound Italian sausage (I used mild)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes, cut in half lengthwise, then thinly sliced
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 Tablespoon flour
- 3-4 cups chopped kale leaves, stems removed
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (if you don't like too much spice, you can reduce this or leave it out)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
Brown and crumble Italian sausage with the onions and garlic in a large skillet. Cook until no longer pink, drain fat, and set aside.
In a large soup pot, bring chicken broth and potatoes to boil over high heat. Cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium and stir in the softened cream cheese. Stir and cook for about five minutes, until cheese is melted.
In a small bowl, mix together the milk and flour, then stir into the soup. Cook for a couple minutes more. Season the soup with salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and oregano.
Stir in the cooked sausage/onions and chopped kale and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Calories: 401kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 1066mg | Potassium: 831mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2955IU | Vitamin C: 48.3mg | Calcium: 121mg | Iron: 2.3mg