Hi, I’m Carrie from Kenarry: Ideas for the Home. I am so thrilled Ashlyn invited me over to Belle of the Kitchen today to share one of our family’s favorite Saturday morning breakfasts with you. This super simple recipe for Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes replaces oil with applesauce and adds in whole wheat pancake mix and egg substitute for a nutritious breakfast. If you’re a stay-at-home mom, like me, chances are you’re the one who does most of the cooking throughout the week. On Saturday mornings, my husband fixes brunch for the boys and I. It’s a special treat for me to kick back with a cup of coffee and watch him work. One of his Saturday morning specialties is Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes. In his recipe, you substitute vegetable oil with cinnamon applesauce. This gives the Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes a light fruity flavor. It also cuts back on some of the unhealthy fats. My husband uses the no-sugar added baked cinnamon applesauce we canned last Fall, along with Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat Pancake Mix and egg substitute to increase the “good-for-you” qualities in this delicious breakfast. With only four ingredients, Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes are easy and quick to fix for brunch on a Saturday morning. It’s the number one preferred Saturday brunch choice of our four-year old. I’m sure if he could talk, our one and a half year old would agree.
How to Make Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes
What you need:
- 1 1/2 cups Aunt Jemima Whole Wheat Blend Pancake Mix
- 2 eggs or 1/2 cup of egg substitute
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 1/2 cups cinnamon applesauce
1. Pour pancake mix, eggs, milk and cinnamon applesauce in a medium sized mixing bowl and stir until well blended. 2. Lightly grease an electric griddle or skillet and heat to 375 degrees. You could also use a large frying pan over medium-high heat. 3. Pour 1/4 cup of batter on the heated griddle or skillet. Flip the pancakes when the batter starts to bubble and the bottom of the pancakes are light brown. 4. Cook the other side of the pancakes for a few minutes until the second side is light brown. 5. Enjoy with butter or margarine, syrup and your favorite toppings.
Serving Suggestions for Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes
There are many ways you could serve these Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes:
- Serve them alongside sausage patties, strips of bacon or smoky links.
- Top the Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes with bananas, sliced apples or berries.
- Throw a few chocolate chips into your pancake batter. (I figure I already cancel out some of the health values when I lather them with margarine and pour on the syrup, so why not add chocolate chips too!)
- Make fun shapes when you pour the batter on the griddle. My husband likes to surprise the boys with Mickey Mouse heads, hearts or any other shape he can imagine.
For Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes, you can make Baked Cinnamon Applesauce, like we did, or use store-bought cinnamon applesauce.
If you need other Saturday morning brunch ideas, be sure to check out this recipe for Breakfast Enchiladas. What are your family’s favorite foods to make for Saturday brunch? We’re always looking for new ideas. And by “we”, I mean my husband! I’ll be drinking coffee. This recipe for Cinnamon Applesauce Pancakes: Whole Wheat Breakfast Treat was originally published on Kenarry: Ideas for the Home. Carrie is a mother of two as well as the chief writer, crafter, cook and social media manager at Kenarry: Ideas for the Home. She enjoys sharing ideas for recipes, crafts, home decor, technology, kids, product recommendations and more. You can connect with Carrie via Google+, Pinterest, Facebook and Twitter.