These BBQ Root Beer Chicken Sandwiches are made in the slow cooker and come together with just five simple ingredients! They are full of flavor and make a perfect summer time dinner!
Happy Tuesday, y’all! May is already halfway over, which means we are all one step closer to summer! My son only has seven more days left of school, and after that we are looking forward to pool days, sleeping in, and barbecue dinners!
When summer time rolls around, I love my slow cooker even more. When we are busy running around to the pool and the beach, I don’t always have the energy to come home and make a big dinner. If everything is already prepared and cooking for me in the crockpot, I can breathe a sigh of relief and hang out on the porch with a glass of Watermelon Lemonade instead!
And what better way to enjoy a summer time slow cooker recipe than one that involves barbecue!? These bbq root beer chicken sandwiches are the perfect way to do just that, and you are going to LOVE how simple they are.
First, we start with some chicken breasts or thighs. You can use whichever you have on hand for this recipe, or you could also make this with a pork butt or shoulder, too. Lots of flexibility here! Next, you’re going to whip up a quick and delicious sauce made from the new KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce Mixes & Dry Rubs, and this is where the fun part comes in! These sauces are so versatile, y’all. You mix the rub with the liquid of your choice to create a unique sauce that’s all your own! You could use water, beer, soda, juice, etc. The combinations are endless!
A friend of mine made pulled pork cooked in root beer awhile back, and I loved the tenderness and flavor that came from it. I decided to try that as the liquid paired with the KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce & Dry Rub Original Mix, and it came out deliciously good! I just added in some onions and pickles for extra savory flavor, stacked it all on toasted hamburger buns, and dinner was ready!
You can find all three varieties of the KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce Mix & Dry Rubs at your local grocery store. I used the Original version for this recipe, but they also come in Sweet Honey and Spicy Habanero versions! I am already dreaming up possibilities for those. 😉
Be sure to visit the KC Masterpiece® website for more recipes, tips, and more!
- 1 pouch KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce Mix & Dry Rub (Original)
- ¾ cup root beer
- 2 - 2½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- sliced pickles
- hamburger buns for serving
- In a small bowl, mix together KC Masterpiece BBQ Sauce Mix with root beer, blending until smooth. Set aside.
- Place chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker. Pour prepared sauce over the top of chicken, spreading evenly.
- Set slow cooker to high heat and cook for 3-4 hours until chicken is cooked though. Remove chicken from crockpot and shred with two forks. Return to crockpot along with chopped onion. Stir, then replace lid and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- To serve, scoop the chicken onto hamburger buns and top with sliced pickles. Enjoy!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of KC Masterpiece. The opinions and text are all mine.