Who’s excited for Cinco de Mayo?! We certainly are. To me, it’s a fabulous excuse to eat a full day’s worth of delicious Mexican food. Huevos Rancheros, enchiladas, guacamole, margaritas… 😉
And if you want to end your day of food and fun with a little something sweet, I have the perfect dessert for you.
Let me just tell y’all something. These are hands-down my favorite cupcakes of ALL TIME. Trust me here. Coming from a complete chocaholic, that is saying A LOT. These have the perfect amount of moistness. Sometimes Tres Leches cake can be a little too wet for my liking. But I promise that is not the case with these cupcakes. They are also incredibly easy to make with the help of a cake mix.
Once you have mixed up the ingredients and baked your cupcakes, place them on a wire rack to cool. While they are still warm, take a toothpick or a fork, and poke holes over the top surface of each cupcake. Stir up some milk and cream of coconut, then pour evenly over the top of all the cupcakes. The holes help the cake absorb all of the delicious, creamy goodness!
After they have cooled completely, top with some homemade buttercream frosting, which is SUPER easy to make. I’m telling you, once you’ve made this frosting, you will never buy the kind at the store again. It’s THAT good!
I also toasted a little coconut in a skillet on top of the stove and then sprinkled that over the top.
Happy Cindo de Mayo! I hope you have a chance to enjoy a cupcake, and a margarita or two. 😉
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners (recipe makes about 22 cupcakes).
- Stir yellow cake mix, eggs, water, and vegetable oil in a bowl until moistened; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in crushed pineapple. Pour batter into the prepared liners.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cupcakes are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with moist crumbs, about 18-20 minutes.
- Place cupcakes on wire rack to cool. While still warm, poke holes over the surface of each cupcake using a toothpick or fork. Whisk cream of coconut with milk in a bowl until smooth; pour mixture evenly over warm cupcakes. Allow cupcakes to cool thoroughly.
- Frost each cupcake with buttercream frosting. Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
Adapted from: Allrecipes