Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
These Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes will take your taco night to a new and healthy level! Nutritious sweet potatoes are filled with your favorite taco toppings and ready in under 20 minutes. The perfect quick and healthy dinner!
I love recipes where you get to “stuff” something. Mushrooms, bell peppers, pasta, and especially sweet potatoes, just make such delicious vessels for all kinds of delicious offerings.
And making just about anything into a taco, my favorite food, is a serious passion of mine. If you’re a taco lover too, then you are going to love this recipe!
What are the health benefits of eating sweet potatoes?
Eating more sweet potatoes is a great way to add some extra nutrition into your diet. They are cheap, readily available year round, easy to prepare, and chock full of health benefits, y’all! They also:
- are full of vitamins, especially A and C, which are essential to your immune system
- have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which help prevent disease and aging
- support a healthy cardiovascular system and are full of heart healthy potassium
- are a good source of fiber to promote a well functioning digestive system
- support healthy vision
- can aid in weight loss as they keep you full for longer and can help reduce cravings
All that and more comes from these little orange powerhouses!
What to serve with Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Now I myself love sweet potatoes, but getting my kids on board hasn’t always been easy. However, they too share my love for tacos, so this recipe has helped get more sweet potatoes into their diets.
My husband also likes sweet potatoes, but he’s more a fan of them in their traditional form; slathered in butter, cinnamon, and sugar!
Which I will admit, is SO so good.
BUT, if you’ve never tried savory sweet potatoes, I’m here to urge you to do so. They are such a game changer and so easy to make, too!
Give these taco stuffed sweet potatoes a try if you’re looking for a healthy twist on traditional taco shells! I think you and your body will love them!
More awesome sweet potato recipes
Recipe: Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, about 12-14 ounces each
- shredded Mexican blend cheese
- diced tomato
- diced avocado or guacamole
- sour cream
- Brown ground beef, chopped onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium high heat. Drain grease and add the taco seasoning and salsa.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 5 more minutes until mixture has thickened and is heated through. Add up to 1/2 cup of water to achieve desired consistency.
- While the meat is cooking, poke holes all over the sweet potatoes and cook in the microwave for 8-10 minutes on high, turning sweet potatoes over once halfway through. If potatoes aren't soft enough, continue cooking 1-3 minutes more. I usually cook two potatoes at one time, but if your microwave allows, you could cook all four at once. Allow sweet potatoes to cool slightly, then slice them lengthwise and fluff the insides with a fork.
- Spoon the cooked taco meat over the sweet potatoes and add desired toppings such as shredded cheese, diced tomato, avocado, guacamole, or sour cream. Enjoy!
If you like these Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, then you might also like: