Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
These Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes will take your taco night to a new and healthy level! Nutritious sweet potatoes are filled with your favorite taco toppings and ready in under 20 minutes. The perfect quick and healthy dinner!
I love recipes where you get to “stuff” something. Mushrooms, bell peppers, pasta, and especially sweet potatoes, just make such delicious vessels for all kinds of delicious offerings.
And making just about anything into a taco, my favorite food, is a serious passion of mine. If you’re a taco lover too, then you are going to love this recipe!
What are the health benefits of eating sweet potatoes?
Eating more sweet potatoes is a great way to add some extra nutrition into your diet. They are cheap, readily available year round, easy to prepare, and chock full of health benefits, y’all! They also:
- are full of vitamins, especially A and C, which are essential to your immune system
- have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which help prevent disease and aging
- support a healthy cardiovascular system and are full of heart healthy potassium
- are a good source of fiber to promote a well functioning digestive system
- support healthy vision
- can aid in weight loss as they keep you full for longer and can help reduce cravings
All that and more comes from these little orange powerhouses!
What to serve with Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Now I myself love sweet potatoes, but getting my kids on board hasn’t always been easy. However, they too share my love for tacos, so this recipe has helped get more sweet potatoes into their diets.
My husband also likes sweet potatoes, but he’s more a fan of them in their traditional form; slathered in butter, cinnamon, and sugar!
Which I will admit, is SO so good.
BUT, if you’ve never tried savory sweet potatoes, I’m here to urge you to do so. They are such a game changer and so easy to make, too!
Give these taco stuffed sweet potatoes a try if you’re looking for a healthy twist on traditional taco shells! I think you and your body will love them!
More awesome sweet potato recipes
Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, about 12-14 ounces each
- shredded Mexican blend cheese
- diced tomato
- diced avocado or guacamole
- sour cream
- Brown ground beef, chopped onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium high heat. Drain grease and add the taco seasoning and salsa.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 5 more minutes until mixture has thickened and is heated through. Add up to 1/2 cup of water to achieve desired consistency.
- While the meat is cooking, poke holes all over the sweet potatoes and cook in the microwave for 8-10 minutes on high, turning sweet potatoes over once halfway through. If potatoes aren't soft enough, continue cooking 1-3 minutes more. I usually cook two potatoes at one time, but if your microwave allows, you could cook all four at once. Allow sweet potatoes to cool slightly, then slice them lengthwise and fluff the insides with a fork.
- Spoon the cooked taco meat over the sweet potatoes and add desired toppings such as shredded cheese, diced tomato, avocado, guacamole, or sour cream. Enjoy!
If you like these Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes, then you might also like:
Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Peppers
This was delicious. My son who’s very picket went back for 2nd minus the avocado. Will definitely make this again
Wow, these were so delicious!! Will definitely make again.
yumm this looks so good! I love sweet potatoes I totally need to try this
The sweet and savory combination of these taco stuffed sweet potatoes is a match made in dinnertime heaven!
These look so good! I love finding a fun combination to stuff inside a potato!
Delicious and healthy! The ground beef makes the it hearty and filling. Like a taco salad but better!
GIRL! I NEEEEED this in my life
Woah what a cool combo! I’ve never tried it. Sounds delish!! I’m always looking for something new to bring to the dinner table. Thank you 🙂
These are literally my 2 favorite things. Tacos are the best, but I never thought to use the Sweet Potato as the shell. Such a great idea! I just pinned this recipe so I can try it!
We just bought some Sweet Potatoes, and its Taco Tuesday so this is HIGH on the list for dinner tonight!!! This looks so delicious!!
What a delicious way to eat tacos and to swap out the tortilla with a healthier carb option.
Found this recipe by chance. I neeed a loaded sweet potato recipe. It wa delicious. I added salsa to top. Thank you
Tried this recipe out tonight and my hubby and I loved it! Would definitely make it again. Quick and easy to make too which is always a huge plus… Two thumbs up!
Made this tonight!. Delicious! Topped with cholula hot sauce. Perfection!
Very good. Quick meal to make.
I’ve never had a dish like this before. It looks really good! Beautiful recipe and amazing captures! Nice post.
Wow! Love the idea of taco stuffed sweet potatoes 🙂
These sweet potatoes are looking perfect! Thanks for sharing this recipe with us…
Such a great idea to use sweet potatoes…YUM!!!
I absolutely love this combo of flavors! Such a great idea to use sweet potatoes too…YUM!!!
I AM MAKING THIS, THIS WEEKEND!!! I used all caps to show you how excited I am about that lol. Thanks for sharing.
I’m always looking for new dishes to serve for lunch and these sweet potatoes are looking perfect!
What an epic combination of flavours! I love tacos, and I’m obsessed with potatoes!