Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings – An easy version of the comfort-food classic that simmers away all day in the crockpot. You will love this simple and delicious recipe!
Chicken and dumplings has to be the epitome of comfort food. It’s funny, though, because as much as I love scooping up delicious spoonfuls of it now, Chicken and Dumplings was never really a meal that we ate growing up. My mom is a good cook, but there are were only a few select meals that I can remember her making. I think part of that comes from her trying to keep things as simple as possible while raising four kids!
The first place I discovered my love for Chicken and Dumplings was actually at Cracker Barrel. The delicious dumplings and gravy….SWOON! It’s one of those foods I crave out here in Hawaii and look forward to having when we are stateside again. In the meantime, though, I LOVE to make this easy, shortcut version of Chicken and Dumplings. The dumplings are actually made from prepared biscuit dough, and let me tell ya: they are SO darn good! My whole family loves this too, even my son who mistakenly thought I was making “Chicken and Ducklings!” He was very distraught over the fact that we would eat ducklings, but after much reassurance that it was dumplings and not our sweet, baby duck friends, he was able to calm down. 😉
To get started, simply add some chicken, a chopped onion, spices, a little butter, chicken broth, and some cream of chicken soup to the bowl of your crockpot. Cook it all together on low for 6-8 hours, or high for 4-5 hours. *A couple of side notes: I LOVE to use the Cream of Chicken soup made by Pacific Foods. It’s organic, it tastes good, and every ingredient is recognizable, which makes me feel a lot better about using it. Also, you can use chicken breasts or thighs for this recipe. I actually used chicken thighs because it’s what I had on hand, and it was delicious.
After you’ve let it all cook for at least 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low, chop up some refrigerated biscuits into quarter size chunks and add to the slow cooker. Push them down so that they soak up the gravy while they cook. I also like to scoop up some of the gravy from the crockpot and pour it over the top. Put the lid back on and cook it all for 1 more hour on high.
And when it’s done? Yummy, goldeny, easy, Chicken and Dumpling goodness! Enjoy y’all!
- 1½-2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 TB butter
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp seasoned salt
- ¼ tsp poultry seasoning
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (or boxes) cream of chicken soup
- 10 canned, regular size, buttermilk biscuits (I use two small cans, each contains five biscuits)
- Place chicken in the bottom of slow cooker, along with chopped onion and 2 TB butter. Sprinkle with dried parsley, seasoning salt, poultry seasoning, and garlic powder.
- Add chicken broth and cream of chicken soup to crockpot, and stir all ingredients to combine. Place lid on top and cook over low heat for 6-8 hours, or high heat for 4-5 hours.
- After cooking for at least 6 hours on low, or 4 hours on high, remove lid and stir mixture with a spoon or fork, breaking apart the chicken into smaller chunks.
- Chop the biscuits into quarters and add to the crockpot. Push biscuit dough down into the crockpot a bit so that they will absorb the gravy as they cook.
- Replace the lid and continue cooking for 1 more hour over high heat until biscuits are cooked through and begin to turn golden brown. Enjoy!