These Black Bean Stuffed Peppers are filled with rice, black beans, onions, and Mexican spices. They are low carb, gluten free, and make a delicious meatless meal!
Can y’all believe that March is almost halfway over?! Where has the time gone? And considering my birthday is coming up on Monday and I will be 29… again, seriously, WHERE HAS THE TIME GONE?!
March is a busy month at our house. My hubby’s birthday was last week, for which he requested Rainbow Cake again this year. No worries with that one, though, we are all big Rainbow Cake fans. 😉
My birthday is on Monday, and then mine and my husband’s anniversary is on St. Patrick’s Day. So I guess I should say that March is more of a busy month in terms of CAKE. Yes, we don’t necessarily do very much, but more so eat lots of cake. Every celebratory day deserves a cake, right?! RIGHT!
Well, with all of the cake-eatin’ going on around here, I gotta try to lighten-up our other meals in order to compensate. These Black Bean Stuffed Peppers are a great way to do that, and they make a great option for meatless Monday.
- 4 Bell Peppers (any color, I used red and green)
- 1 TB butter or olive oil
- ½ cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¾ cup salsa
- 1 cup cooked rice (I used brown rice)
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove tops from peppers and scrape out membranes and seeds. Set aside.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat and add onions. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Stir in black beans, cumin, chili powder, and garlic salt. Using the back of a fork, mash up about half of the black beans. Add in cilantro and salsa and cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cooked rice.
- Evenly fill the four prepared peppers with the rice and black bean mixture and set inside a baking dish. Top each pepper with a ¼ cup of cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until peppers have softened and cheese is melted. Enjoy!