Wow, this past week has been a busy one and I apologize for being gone the past few days! My husband came home from a work trip to Thailand (army stuff), and a couple days after that we started packing for our newest move. Blah….
Yes, we are moving. AGAIN. But not out of paradise here in Hawaii just yet. Only out of our current home and into military housing on base. We decided to move in an effort to save some money (the cost of electricity here in Hawaii is absolutely absurd!), and to be closer to my husband’s work. However, the last time we moved ourselves without help from a moving company was before we were married and had kids. Really, it was before we had much of anything! The army has always provided movers to take care of of all the packing and heavy lifting, but not this time. Oh MY WORD! Moving your own family is a lot of exhausting work! Seriously, I’m pooped and we still haven’t even moved our furniture out yet! That fun comes tomorrow. 🙂
So even though packing and moving has kind of taken over our household the past few days, I still wanted to take some time and share a new, yummy and easy recipe with you today!
Since spring is just around the corner, these Lemon Bars are the perfect treat to whip up in preparation for the new season. They are great for baby showers, bridal showers, Easter, or just ’cause. 😉
When I say easy, I mean it! You only need six simple ingredients, one of which is an ever versatile cake mix! Don’t you love cake mix? They aren’t just for making cakes anymore! Cookies, brownies, pancakes, and these Easy Lemon Bars all can be made with the use of a helpful box from Betty Crocker.
Get started by combining the cake mix with the oil and an egg. Reserve about 3/4 cup of the dough to use as crumble topping for the Lemon Bars. Press the remainder of the dough into the bottom of a 9×13 pan and bake for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
Allow it to cool while you get started on the filling. Beat the cream cheese, lemon juice, and sugar together until nice and smooth. Spread it evenly over the baked crust. Crumble reserved dough over the top of filling and return to oven for 15-20 minutes until baked and filling is set.
Yum! Lemony goodness, buttery, chewy crust…it’s hard to stop yourself at just one of these babies! But hey, if you’ve had a busy week there’s nothing wrong with indulging a bit. You’ve earned it! And if your week hasn’t been that busy, you still deserve one. Because you are awesome and came by to read my little blog today and I want you to have one. So there. 🙂
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package lemon cake mix
- 1 egg
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Pour cake mix into a large bowl. Add the egg and oil; mix until well blended. Mixture will be slightly dry. Reserve about ¾ cup for the topping, and pat the rest into a 9x13 inch pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the softened cream cheese with the sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Spread the mixture evenly over the baked crust. Crumble the reserved cake mix mixture over the top.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until filling is set and the topping is lightly toasted. Cool before cutting into bars. Refrigerate leftovers.