Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake – a moist and delicious lemon cake bursting with crunchy poppy seeds and topped with a sweet lemon vanilla glaze. This cake is perfect for spring!
Happy spring, y’all! I am soooooo glad to finally be able to say that! Even though I know this has been a relatively mild winter, days of 30-5o degree weather have been hard for me to get used to after living in warm, sunny Hawaii for the past few years.
My son is happy too, because to him spring means that he no longer has to wear pants! He’s a shorts-kinda-guy, and we struggled all winter long trying to get him to wear long pants. When the first day of spring hit this week, he declared, “Yay! Spring is here so I don’t have to wear pants anymore!!!” I don’t know where he got that logic from, but I guess we can roll with it. 😉
To celebrate the fact that spring is here, I decided to make this Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake. Lemon desserts are one of my favorite treats for spring time, and I think this would be a fabulous treat for Easter, too!
This is a very simple, easy recipe and the result is a super moist and fluffy cake. The glaze on top is the same that I use on my Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins and is very easy to whip up. In fact, my three year old did the mixing-up for the glaze. She has a special stool in the kitchen that she uses to climb up on the counter while I’m cooking in order to offer her special mixing skills, and it’s hard to deny that sweet face.
There she is, my sweet little princess. She hardly ever leaves my side. I snapped this picture real quick while I was in the middle of taking pictures of the Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake. She was sitting in a chair by me just reading her little story and being so good while mommy works. I love her so much and she is growing too fast. ;(
Oh but I digress. Pregnancy is making me terribly emotional and nostalgic these days. We are getting closer and closer to baby time and I can’t wait! We finally got the car seat this weekend and also picked up a big box of diapers and wipes, so I feel pretty prepared now. Just have to put the bassinet together so that he has somewhere to sleep, haha! We’re getting there little by little. 🙂
Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
- 1 16.5 oz. lemon cake mix
- 3 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice, (about 1 whole lemon)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Soak the poppy seeds in the 1 1/4 cups water in a small bowl for 25-30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease the inside of a bundt cake pan very well and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, stir together the cake mix, water/poppy seed mixture, eggs, and vegetable oil until moistened. Use an electric mixer and beat batter over medium speed for four minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared bundt cake pan and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely on a wire rack, then turn pan upside down and gently ease the cake out onto a serving platter or cake stand.
- To prepare glaze, whisk the melted butter, powdered sugar, lemon juice, and vanilla extract in a small bowl until smooth. Pour over the top of cake. Slice and enjoy!
Looking for more Lemon Desserts? You might also like..