Nutella Puppy Chow
This Nutella Puppy Chow is an incredibly delicious and addicting snack! Made with Chex cereal, chocolate chips, Nutella, and powdered sugar, you’ll be amazed at how quickly it disappears, too!
My little man turned four last week! He has grown so much and time has also passed so quickly that I can hardly believe it. We are celebrating his birthday this weekend with a puppy themed party. His favorite thing in the world is dogs of every shape and size, so a puppy themed party seemed just right.
In keeping with the party’s theme, I thought “puppy chow” would be the perfect treat to serve at the party. We are also having hot dogs, chips, fruit, and more. I’m also planning to serve it all in plastic dog bowls to make it even more fun!
In case you’ve never tried puppy chow before, it’s an addicting, sweet snack made from crispy cereal (like Chex or Crispix). The cereal gets coated with a chocolate/peanut butter mixture and is then dusted with powdered sugar. The only problem with this traditional recipe is the peanut butter since our son is allergic. I considered using almond butter or Sunbutter, but then I thought of Nutella! We love Nutella in s’mores bars and mini cheesecakes, so I thought it would be perfect in puppy chow!
A little internet search led me to this recipe form Lovin’ From the Oven, and I’m so so glad I found it! I couldn’t wait to try it and ran right to the kitchen to get started. This stuff is SO GOOD. I made a preliminary batch to test out the recipe, and it has been nearly impossible for me to stay out of it! It’s very easy to make and our whole family loved it, too. I plan on making this Nutella Puppy Chow for snacks, lunches, and more from now on!
Once you try this you are going to fall head over heels in love, too. I already can’t wait to make the second batch and then devour some more, since we already plowed through the first batch. But then in my defense, I also only made half the recipe the first time! Next time I will probably double or triple it!
I hope y’all enjoy this recipe, too! Leave me a comment below if you try it out to let me know!
Nutella Puppy Chow
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Nutella
- 1 12 oz box Chex or Crispix cereal
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- In a pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter and chocolate chips, stirring constantly.
- When all is melted and smooth, remove from heat and stir in the Nutella.
- Slowly pour the chocolate/Nutella mixture over cereal in a large mixing bowl. Use a large spatula to gently coat and mix cereal with the chocolate/Nutella mixture. Keep mixing until evenly coated.
- Add the cereal to a gallon sized ziploc bag. Pour in the powdered sugar and shake, starting with ½ cup at a time. You want to make sure everything’s coated, but not too sweet! Taste test during this step until you get just the right amount of coating. You probably won't need the full 3 cups of powdered sugar!
Adapted from Lovin’ From the Oven
If you like this Nutella Puppy Chow, then you might also like: