This Air Fryer Whole Chicken is so simple and delicious. In under one hour you can have a juicy and tender chicken, with an irresistible crispy skin. You’ll never want to buy a grocery store rotisserie chicken again!
This post may contain affiliate links.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
In somewhat exciting news, I am the proud new owner of an Air Fryer! I am so excited y’all, I have been wanting one for so long! We purchased the Air Fryer XL which holds a LOT and I LOVE IT!
So, get ready, because I think there will be lots of new air fryer recipes coming here soon!
How to make Air Fryer Whole Chicken – Step by Step
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towels and put it on a clean work surface. I usually place mine in a bowl to help keep everything contained! Next, you’re going to loosen skin from the breast meat of the chicken by running a small spatula or your fingers gently underneath the skin. Spread about 2 tablespoons of softened butter all around underneath the skin on to both breasts.
- For this next step, I love to use Trader Joe’s BBQ Rub and Seasoning to season the chicken. It has hints of coffee and garlic that translate into a really flavorful and crispy skin.
- You can use any bbq rub that you prefer for this step though! Sprinkle two tablespoons of bbq rub all over the entire surface of the chicken and rub it in well so that it sticks.
- Place the chicken breast-side down in the basket of the air fryer and cook at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes is up, pull out the basket and flip the chicken breast side up. Place it back in the air fryer for 15-25 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees. Now you’re ready to enjoy some truly delicious chicken!
What to serve with Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli and Rice
- Garlic Parmesan Roasted Asparagus
- Pesto Roasted Potatoes and Green Beans
More awesome Air Fryer Recipes
Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 whole chicken, about 3-5 pounds
- 2 tbsp Trader Joe's BBQ Rub and Seasoning, or bbq rub of your choice
- Remove chicken from packaging and pat dry with paper towels. Remove and discard neck and giblets from cavity of chicken.
- Loosen skin from the breast meat of the chicken by running a small spatula or your fingers gently underneath the skin. Spread 2 tablespoons of softened butter underneath the skin on both breasts. Use your fingers to spread it around under the skin.
- Liberally sprinkle the bbq seasoning over all sides of the chicken and rub into the skin so that it sticks. Place the whole chicken breast-side down in the basket of your air fryer.
- Set the air fryer to 350 degrees and cook the chicken for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes is up, pull out the basket and flip the chicken breast side up. Place back in the air fryer at 350 degrees for 15-25 minutes, or until a meat thermometer reaches 165 degrees.
- Allow chicken to rest for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!