As one might expect, winter time in Hawaii is much different from winter time on the mainland. We aren’t shoveling snow or putting on warm coats before we leave the house, but the temperatures have dipped a bit and we have been getting lots of rain. And whether it’s a snowy day back east or a rainy day here on the island, a warm bowl of soup is the perfect dinner when the yucky weather has kept you indoors.
This is one of my favorite soups. It’s like a broccoli cheese soup, but it has more veggies to make it chunkier and healthier, too! It’s a great choice for Meatless Monday since it will warm you up and fill you up.
Once all the veggies are prepped and chopped, it comes together very easily.
Really, the chopping is the hardest part!
After you’ve finished chopping, melt a couple tablespoons of butter in a large soup pot and saute the carrots, celery, and onions until soft. Then add in the garlic and cook for a couple minutes more. Next add in some chicken broth and the potatoes and cook until they’ve softened. By the way, this is my favorite, FAVORITE, chicken broth!
It has so much flavor and smells good, too!
Once the potatoes are ready, combine the water and flour and then add to soup. Cook for a few more minutes then add in the milk and broccoli. Continue cooking until the broccoli is tender, then remove from heat and stir in the cheese until smooth and thickened.
Grab a spoon and start slurping! My three year old can be a pretty picky eater, but he actually asks for me to make this all the time! That doesn’t always happen where vegetables are concerned. 🙂
Hope you’re all having a great week!
Cheesy Vegetable Chowder
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 celery stick,, finely chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 large baking potatoes,, peeled and chopped
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 2 heaping cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt the butter in a large soup pot. Add onions, carrots, and celery and saute over medium heat until tender. Add garlic and cook 1 or 2 additional minutes.
- Add chicken broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, and cook until potatoes are tender. Mix flour with water, add, and simmer until soup is slightly thickened.
- Add milk and broccoli and cook until broccoli is just tender and soup is heated through. Stir in cheese, allow to melt, and serve.
Shared at: Food Storage Moms