These Sugar Cookie Bars are so yummy and much easier to make than traditional sugar cookies! The dough is baked on one large cookie sheet, then topped with a homemade vanilla frosting. Just slice and enjoy!
I can’t believe that Valentine’s Day is just a few days away and I haven’t shared a single recipe yet! I love Valentine’s Day and all of the fun treats that go along with it. One of my favorites are these Buttermilk Chocolate Cupcakes I made for Valentine’s Day last year. They have a whipped ganache frosting!
I love Valentine’s Day for a couple of reasons. One: it’s actually my parents’ anniversary! Because of this, they always made a big deal out of Valentine’s Day when we were growing up. We would have a special dinner together as a family, and we’d each get packages with plenty of treats and candy. It was always a fun day that we looked forward to.
Another reason that I love Valentine’s Day so much is that my husband proposed to me on February 15th. I was totally surprised because I thought all of the special things he was doing for me that night (including recreating our first date) was simply to celebrate Valentine’s Day a day late. Boy was I wrong! 😉
So yes, I really do love Valentine’s Day. I know a lot of people think it’s another commercialized holiday, but to me, it’s all about love. It doesn’t just have to be about romantic love, either. It’s a great excuse to share some love with your friends, your family, your kids, coworkers, even your dog! Yep, I think our wrinkly bulldog might even get a couple extra milkbones on Sunday.
So if you’re looking for a special treat to celebrate Valentine’s Day, these sugar cookie bars would be perfect! They are a lot easier to make than regular sugar cookies since the dough is baked altogether on a a rimmed cookie sheet, topped with frosting, then cut into bars. I made these with half white sugar and half brown sugar because I am a brown sugar addict. I love the flavor and texture it gives to these bars compared to using all white sugar. The vanilla frosting I made to go with these is my go-to frosting recipe. I like it on just about anything! But you could definitely use store-bought frosting if you’re in a pinch. Enjoy y’all!
Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars
Sugar Cookie Bars:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar,, lightly packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter,, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 15x10 inch rimmed baking pan with parchment paper or spray with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. I let mine beat for about 3-5 minutes. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add dry ingredients to the batter a little at a time, beating over low speed. Batter will be sticky.
- Evenly spread batter into prepared baking pan. I greased both of my hands with cooking spray and used them help spread out the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- To prepare frosting: beat together butter and powdered sugar until smooth. Add in the vanilla extract and milk and continue beating. Add in food coloring if desired.
- Spread frosting over the top of cooled bars and slice into squares. Enjoy!