Peppers, onions, and creamy cheese come together to make this delicious Chicken Fajita Soup. Topped off with a little sour cream and chips on the side, this is a bowl of southwest comfort food!
I hope y’all aren’t “souped out” yet. 😉 I know I’ve been sharing a lot of soups lately, but I just can’t seem to help myself. I could probably eat soup multiple times a week and be perfectly happy. Plus my son actually requests it for dinner all the time! You’ve probably heard me mention that he is a picky eater, so it’s a big deal when he makes requests other than sandwiches or pizza.
This Chicken Fajita Soup was actually one of those ideas that came about as I was looking through my fridge, trying to decide what to make for dinner. I had some peppers that I needed to use up, plus some leftovers from my weekly rotisserie chicken. I mentioned my adoration for those chickens in my Shrimp Enchiladas recipe. 🙂
This soup was so easy to make, and it was ready FAST! Under 30 minutes fast, y’all. Plus, it tastes AMAZING! I added in some sharp cheddar to give it a nice cheesy finish, and there were no complaints coming from our dinner table!
Creamy Chicken Fajita Soup
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion,, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green pepper,, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper,, sliced
- *Fajita seasoning, 1 packet, or homemade recipe below
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 can black beans,, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cooked chicken
Fajita Seasoning (combine and mix well):
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions, green peppers, and red peppers. Cook until vegetables have softened and are starting to brown, about 8-10 minutes.Sprinkle with fajita seasoning.
- Add chicken broth, corn, diced tomatoes, and softened cream cheese. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until cream cheese has completely melted.
- Stir in cooked chicken and 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese. Top with sour cream, tortilla chips, and chopped cilantro if desired.
Hungry for more soup recipes? You might like: